The Media for Environment, Science, Health and Agriculture (MESHA)
The Media for Environment, Science, Health and Agriculture (MESHA) is an association of science journalists and communicators from all over the country, with emphasis on rural journalism and communication.
The idea for the formation of this association sprang up from the fact that whereas there are many organizations and communicators in the fields of agriculture, environment, health and development, currently there is no organization that brings them together for the betterment of covering these issues in the media in Kenya.
MESHA believes that in a democratic society where science must be answerable to the public, there is real need to find new and innovative ways of more effective mass communication about the benefits of science, but also about areas of concern to the general public.
MESHA aims to ensure continuity, sustainability and consistent coverage of science and development issues as they arise.
To create an informed and empowered population conscious of emerging issues in agriculture, environment and health issues in Kenya and the region.
To promote the development of agriculture and environmental communication through an interactive and holistic approach that involves journalists and other stakeholders in improving science journalism in Kenya and the region.
- To enhance awareness on environmental, agricultural and sustainable development issues through simple and easy to understand stories and messages.
- To carry out investigative writing on the enactment and implementation of appropriate environmental and developmental policies and laws and respect for human rights.
- To network and exchange information with like-minded organizations, research institutes, scientists and stakeholders with a view of improving science communication in the region.
- To liaise with stakeholders to fund and foster training among communicators on science writing.
- To serve as a focal point and hub of information and expertise in agriculture, environment, health and development issues.
- Advocate for accurate, balanced and development friendly communication of environmental, health and sustainable development issues.